March 22 2015

Burlington Home Damaged in Fire on Sunday - Ruled an Accident

By: Rich Hosford

Updated - 3/24/15

In an interview with ABC Channel 5 Boston (WCVB), homeowner Eric Moran, who works as the Burlington Fire Department mechanic, said he was working on a vehicle in the garage before the fire started. He said he had left the house to run to the store and when he came back 15 minutes later the house was fully engulfed. 

Moran's wife and daughter were in the house but fortunately noticed the flames and evacuated the home safely. 

The Burlington Fire Department said on Monday that the fire had been ruled an accident - that the cutting torch slag caught something in the garage on fire. 

Original Story 

A fire that started in an attached garage of a Burlington home quickly spread to the house, causing signficant damage, but fortunately no injuries. 

Fire Chief Steve Yetman reports that the Burlington Fire Department responded early this afternoon to a fast-moving garage fire, a release states. 


The Burlington Police Department received a 911 call at 12:18 p.m. for a fire at 4 Marion Road, the release states. Upon arrival, Burlington Fire Department Shift Commander Scott Carpenter reported an attached garage fully involved with fire already extending into the house. 

Initial reports indicated that residents may be trapped inside, and a second alarm response was immediately requested, the department said. It soon became clear that all occupants were accounted for, and no one was remaining inside.

The fire department made a dual attack, hitting the fire from outside the garage and dragging a hose line into the home to stop the spread of the flames.

The first fire hydrant, located near the home, did not provide sufficient water, so firefighters used a second hydrant, several hundred feet down the road. 

Large snow piles around the house made it difficult to reach the roof of the home to adequately ventilate the fire. 

As the fire grew, the Carpenter ordered all firefighters out of the house, but as the main body of the fire was extinguished, crews were allowed to re-enter the home to extinguish the remaining pockets of fire. 

The home was severely damaged, as were two vehicles located near the garage. No injuries were reported, however.

Fire crews from Bedford, Billerica, and Woburn responded directly to the fire scene to assist the Burlington Fire Department, while Arlington, Reading, and Stoneham crews covered the rest of the town during the incident.

Damage was estimated at $300,000.

The origin and cause of the fire are under investigation by the Burlington Fire Department and the State Fire Marshal's Office.

The American Red Cross also responded to the scene to assist the residents.


Courtesy Burlington Fire Department



Web Design by Polar Design