August 26 2019

Burlington Fire Extinguishes Basement Fire in Sara Street Home

By: Rich Hosford

The Burlington Fire Department extinguished a small basement fire in a Sara Street residence on Monday morning. 

 

Assistant Fire Chief Mike Patterson said the department received a call for a fire alarm going off in the residence. When firefighters arrived they could see smoke coming from an open door at the front of the house. The Engine 1 crew went to investigate and found a small fire in the basement. Papers on a desk were in flames. 

 

Patterson said the homeowner had tried to smother the fire and had removed some burning materials in a plastic bucket to outside the home. 

 

“He was partially successful but we had to extinguish the fire,” Patterson said. 

 

The crew doused the fire with a water can. They also set up a fan to help ventilate the home and remove the smoke. 

 

Patterson said it was fortunate the residence had a working smoke detector in the area of the basement because there was potential for the fire to spread. 

 

“The activation of smoke detectors alerted the resident to the problem and that probably prevented greater fire damage,” he said. 

 

Finally, Patterson said it appears the fire was caused by a small electrical appliance. 

 

Photo: Damage caused by the fire (Courtesy Burlington Fire Department)


 

 
Web Design by Polar Design