July 6 2015

Two Men, One a Burlington Resident, Charged With Murder in Extended Stay Hotel Case

By: Rich Hosford

 

Two men charged in a murder at a Burlington hotel last week have been arraigned and ordered held without bail. 

 

According to a release from Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan and Burlington Police Chief Michael Kent, Epshod Jeune, 24, of Burlington and Derrell Fisher, 21, of Roxbury, are each charged with murder, attempted armed robbery and unlawful possession of a firearm in connection with the shooting death of Sanisha Johnson, 34, of the Bronx, NY, at the Extended Stay America Hotel in Burlington on July 2, 2015.

 

Middlesex District Court Judge Stacey J. Fortes ordered both men held without bail. The next scheduled court date is August 4, 2015.

 

Both men pleaded “not guilty” during the arraignment. They spoke through their lawyers who spoke on their behalf. The two defendants remained in a hallway and did not appear in the courtroom, multiple media outlets report.  

 

On Thursday, Burlington Police responded to the Extended Stay hotel at approximately 12:20 a.m. after a front desk employee called to say that guests reported hearing a woman screaming and what sounded like gunshots. Police arrived at the scene and did a room-to-room search. During that investigation they found Johnson dead in a guest room. 

 

Officials allege that the murder of Johnson happened after the two men robbed another woman in Woburn. 

 

“These defendants allegedly went to the Red Roof Inn in Woburn, quickly committed an armed robbery, and then allegedly continued their spree by traveling to the Extended Stay Hotel in Burlington, where an alleged second robbery led to the death of the victim in this case,” said District Attorney Ryan. “Our concern now is whether other similar incidents may have occurred recently and we urge members of the public with pertinent information to call (781) 897-6600.”

 

Ryan and Woburn Police Chief Robert Ferullo announced on Monday that each man is also charged with armed robbery and armed assault for the alleged incident in Woburn. 

 

Details of the actual arrests of Jeune and Fisher were not immediately available on Monday but in court prosecutors said that both men were seen on surveillance footage entering the Burlington hotel shortly before the incident and leaving soon thereafter. 

 

Chief Kent said he was glad the two men are behind bars. 

 

"This is a deeply disturbing crime, but I am proud of the tireless effort and teamwork shown by police investigators in multiple communities to bring these dangerous suspects to justice," he said in a statement.

 

According to the Lowell Sun, prosecutors in court allege that the women who were attacked in Woburn and Burlington were escorts that the men found on the website backpage.com. 

 

Johnson had been at the hotel since June 29 and her phone records who that Jeune contacted her shortly before the time of the shooting. 

 

Jeune is a former employee of the Extended Stay America in Burlington. 

 

The prosecutor assigned to this case is Chief of Homicide Adrienne Lynch. These charges are allegations, and the defendants are innocent until proven guilty.

 

These incidents were investigated by the Burlington Police Department, the Woburn Police Department and Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office.

 
Web Design by Polar Design