November 3 2014

UPDATED: Fire Damages Garage on Garrity Road

By: Rich Hosford

A fire did heavy damage to an unattached garage on Garrity Road in Burlington on Monday. 

 

According to the Burlington Fire Department the call from the homeowner came in a little before 2 p.m. Assistant Chief Michael Patterson said responding firefighters had the fire out in about 10 minutes. 

 

Fire Prevention Captain Michael Hanafin said the cause of the fire was smoking material used by the homeowner. The fire started near the back of one wall before spreading into the roof rafters.

 

Hanafin said it was good that the fire was knocked down quickly as there was a large propane tank behind the structure which could have caused further damage the flames had reached it. He also said that it was good the garage was no attacked to the house because it was a windy day and the fire may have spread further. 

 

"If it was attached that would have been a whole other situation," he said. "Wind is not your friend." 

 

There were no reported injuries. 

 

Garrity Road was closed down as firefighters worked to knock down the fire and secure the premises. 

 

 

Firefighters respond to garage fire on Garrity Road

 

 

 
Web Design by Polar Design